DRESDEN

DRESDEN, capital of Saxony, Germany. A Jewish community existed there in the early 14th century, and its members were massacred in the black death persecutions of 1349. Jews are not mentioned in Dresden again until 1375. They were expelled in 1430. Jewish settlement was renewed in the early 18th century when the court jews behrend lehmann and Jonas Mayer, with their retainers, were permitted to settle in Dresden. A synagogue and cemetery were opened in the middle of the 18th century. A society for caring for and visiting the sick was established which formed the nucleus for communal organization. During this period the Jews in Dresden were subjected to strict regulations and their rights   of residence were limited. Nevertheless there were about 1,000 Jewish residents by the end of the 18th century. Their situation improved in the 19th century. Active in the communal leadership were R. David Landau of Lissa, who settled in Dresden in 1803, and bernhard beer , founder of the "Mendelssohn-Verein" for the advancement for crafts, art, and science among Jewish youth (1829). As communal leader for 30 years, Beer was active in efforts for improvement of the civil status of the Jews in Dresden and the rest of Saxony. A new synagogue was built and consecrated on his initiative in 1840 and zacharias frankel officiated as its first rabbi (1836–54). Frankel succeeded, among other achievements, in obtaining the repeal of the more humiliating portions of the Jewish oath in 1840. During this period a Jewish elementary school was founded (1836) and complete civil equality attained (1869). Emil Lehmann (d. <!end list > 1898. followed Beer as leader of Dresden and Saxon Jewry. Frankel was succeeded by the teacher Wolf Landau (1854–86) and the scholar of Midrash jacob winter (1887–1941). The community numbered approximately 2,300 in 1886, 4,300 in 1913, and over 6,000 in 1925. A number of Jews from East Europe settled there after World War I. A prosperous and well-endowed community, it owned a valuable library and maintained numerous social and charitable organizations. A group of Orthodox Jews seceded and founded the "Shomerei ha-Dat" congregations. In October 1938, 724 Jews of Polish citizenship were deported from Dresden. On Kristallnacht, 151 Jews were arrested and shipped to Buchenwald. The synagogues were burned and the Jewish community was presented with a bill for their demolition. By May 1939, the community had been reduced to 1,600 people as a result of emigration, deportation, and arrests. There were 12 deportations, dispatching 1,300 Jews, between January 1942 and January 1944. The final deportation was scheduled for February 1945. The Allied bombing of Dresden allowed the deportees to escape. A synagogue seating 200 was opened in 1950. Subsequently the Dresden community declined, numbering 100 in the late 1960s. From 1962 to 1990 Dresden was the seat of the Association of Jewish Communities in the GDR. Owing to the immigration of Jews from the Former Soviet Union, the number of community members rose to 618 in 2005. A new synagogue was inaugurated in 2001. Dresden is the seat of the Association of Jewish Communities in Saxony. -BIBLIOGRAPHY: E. Lehmann, Aus alten Acten… (1886); idem, Ein Halbjahrhundert in der israelitischen Religionsgemeinde zu Dresden (1890); MGWJ, 1 (1852), 382–5, 421–6; Germ Jud, 2 (1968), 175; Gruen, in: AUJW, 9 (1954/55), 3; B. Beer, Geschichtliche Darstellung der 50jaehrigen Wirksamkeit des KrankenunterstuetzungsInstitutes fuer Israeliten zu Dresden (1857). ADD. BIBLIOGRAPHY: U. Ullrich, Zur Geschichte der Juden in Dresden (2001); Der alte juedische Friedhof in Dresden (2002). (Akiva Posner / Annegret Nippa (2nd ed.)

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Dresden — Dresden …   Deutsch Wörterbuch

  • Dresden — • The capital of the Kingdom of Saxony and the residence of the royal family, is situated on both sides of the Elbe Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Dresden     Dresden      …   Catholic encyclopedia

  • Dresden — Dresden, NY U.S. village in New York Population (2000): 307 Housing Units (2000): 139 Land area (2000): 0.305427 sq. miles (0.791053 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.305427 sq. miles (0.791053… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Dresden [1] — Dresden (hierzu der Stadtplan: Dresden mit den Vororten und Innere Stadt, mit Registerblatt), Residenz und Hauptstadt des Königreichs Sachsen sowie Hauptort der gleichnamigen Kreishauptmannschaft (s. unten, S. 201), wegen ihrer anmutigen Lage… …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Dresden — Dresden. Wenn der Frühling die Fluren und Wälder des mittleren und südlichen Deutschlands früher mit seinem Grün und seinem Blüthenschnee schmückt, als jene der nördlichern Grade, dann pilgern die gebildeten und wohlhabenden Bewohner… …   Damen Conversations Lexikon

  • Dresden [1] — Dresden, 1) Kreisdirectionsbezirk od. Kreis des Königreichs Sachsen, gebildet aus dem ehemaligen M eißner Kreise (mit Ausschluß des halben Amtes Stolpen) u. den Ämtern Altenberg, Frauenstein u. Freiberg des vormaligen Erzgebirgischen Kreises, 78… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Dresden, KS — U.S. city in Kansas Population (2000): 51 Housing Units (2000): 28 Land area (2000): 0.943217 sq. miles (2.442922 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.943217 sq. miles (2.442922 sq. km) FIPS code:… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Dresden, NY — U.S. village in New York Population (2000): 307 Housing Units (2000): 139 Land area (2000): 0.305427 sq. miles (0.791053 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 0.305427 sq. miles (0.791053 sq. km) FIPS… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Dresden, OH — U.S. village in Ohio Population (2000): 1423 Housing Units (2000): 687 Land area (2000): 1.167008 sq. miles (3.022536 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.043650 sq. miles (0.113052 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.210658 sq. miles (3.135588 sq. km) FIPS… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Dresden, TN — U.S. town in Tennessee Population (2000): 2855 Housing Units (2000): 1331 Land area (2000): 5.307737 sq. miles (13.746975 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.010315 sq. miles (0.026717 sq. km) Total area (2000): 5.318052 sq. miles (13.773692 sq. km)… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.